Breakthru Beverage Florida’s Program Specialist/Hospitality and Spirit Educator
We’re in an era where people want to know where things are coming from and it’s great when they can make a connection while sitting at a bar and watching their drink being made.
Nick Nistico is Breakthru Beverage Florida’s Program Specialist/Hospitality and Spirit Educator. He supports new and existing on-premise accounts through beverage development consultations and bar staff training programs. A two-time WSWA Best in Show winner, Nistico recently completed the BAR 5-Day Certification Program, an achievement only a fraction of the world’s most talented bartenders have completed. He is a founding member of both the Miami and West Palm Beach United States Bartenders’ Guild. He is our go to bartender aka our Consigliere of all things Craft.
Nick began his career working in the beach-side casinos of Atlantic City. Upon moving to south Florida, he quickly rose to the top of the national and global craft bartending movement. Nick has developed some of the most unique and successful bar programs in the industry including: American Cut, New York City and Atlantic City (Michelin Star chef Marc Forgione); Volver, Philadelphia (Michelin Star chef Jose Garces); Diamond Horseshoe at the Paramount Hotel, Times Square, New York City; Soho Beach House, Miami; and Dolce Italian, Regent Cocktail Club, Miami.
In 2013 Nick won more cocktail competitions than any bartender in the world including Bacardi Legacy and Diplomatico World Cup national championships. He most recently won the 2015 WSWA Best in Show national competition in Las Vegas for the second year in a row, and the 2014 World Tiki Championship at Miami Rum Renaissance. Nick trains over 1000 bartenders every year and closely consults for some of the largest accounts in Florida including: Walt Disney,Universal Studios, The Miami Dolphins,The Clevelander, Joe’s Stone Crab and many more.
1. Known for … Being passionate! Culinary driven cocktails, creating unique balanced flavor, being fiercely competitive. The Plank Smoked Old Fashion. Not being afraid to speak my mind. Perpetration. Converse Sneakers, Flat brim hats.
2. Your go-to drink is … Dry Sherry and Champagne. Brandy, and of course Champagne.
3. Must have Garnish … Proper Citrus Twist, a clear difference I see between seasoned bartenders and those less exposed to proper training. A filthy black cherry. It’s I my opinion the best packaged garnish in the industry.
4. Essential Bar accessory … A very sharp knife. I always say give me fresh ingredients and a sharp knife and I’ll make it happen.
5. Best local bar … El Camino Delray. The hospitality, Agave selection and spicy Mexican food satisfies my needs every time..
6. You are loving … Salt, Pepper, Olive Oil, Vinegar, Sous Vide. Lol, Sounds like I’m talking about food…
7. This time next year you’ll be drinking…. Whatever I want! Drink what you like! I don’t care if it’s warm beer or cold vodka. Be open, try new things and enjoy what makes you happy. Cheers! a glass of Bollinger to that!
Photographed by MRA Photography for Spirited South Florida.